Comparing the Newell 332-5 to a custom Penn 99 width Jigmaster. Background information for the comparison:
Custom Penn 99 Jigmaster has been upgraded with all Stainless Steel internals and has Bryan Young 5+1 drag stack. They both have SS on the inside, Newell spools and Tiburon frames. Gears on the Penn are 4:1 vs the 5:1 on the Newell.
- Sizes are equivalent and spool capacity are close
- Weight is a major point, the Newell is substantially less wieght
- Free Spool is similar, but the Newell spins longer
- Penn has a solid feel and look
- Corrosion resistance goes to the newell and it’s graphite side plates and SS plates rings
- Casting with 4 oz lead…Newell’s reputation is real, these things really cast well.
- Drag strength is the next test