After purchasing a new reel
- You invested a chunk of cash for a new reel, why would it require maintenance? Reels come from the manufacture with enough grease and oil to last longer than needed. I guess the thought is that no one will give it regular routine maintenance so lets pack it full. That does not deliver optimal performance.
- Cleaning out spool bearings and oiling them with a high performance oil helps them start faster and with less force. You will be able to throw lighter weights with ease and improve casting distance.
- Replacing stock drag washers with Carbon Matrix washers that are properly lubed delivers increases in drag strength and smooths them over a greater range of settings. No more hurky jerky drags.
- Tighten drag down
- Light spray
- Reel magic rub down
- Oil bearings, worm gear and handle knobs with one drop each.
After swimming or sand bath
- Dunking a reel in the water is introducing foreign materials into the reel and mechanisms
- Please don’t intentionally dunk reels in the water after feeling something rough or sticking. You are hurting your reel
- Carry a spare reel just in case
- Take dunked or rough running reels out of service immediately
- Cranking on a reel that is running rough will not help it, but it will hurt it
- Complete tear down, cleaning and re-lube is required.
- Depends on how well you have done in keeping foriegn material out of your reel throughout the year.
- Heavy use requires heavier maintenance routine, complete tear down, new oil, grease, drags, complete cleaning, inspect parts for wear. Bearings cleaned and lubed.
- Lighter use requires lighter maintenance routines, oil bearings, grease or oil handle knobs, oil the worm gear.
- Drag washers and drags from smoothdrag.com
- Oil for bearings, Rocket fuel yellow or TSI 321
- Spool Bearings from Boca bearings, ceramic, sealed, fast.
- Drag grease from Cal’s
- Handles and knobs, 4 bearings smooth see JDM
Feel and noises
- If it does not feel right or it is making strange noises take it out of service immediately. Using a reel further can only cause additional damage and complicate repair.
- Simple maintenance at home will uncover the problem(s). Tear it down and clean it.
How we service your reel:
- Break down and inspection
- Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Send estimate to customer
- Replacement parts ordered
- Replacement/upgrades installed
- Marine Grade Grease on Metal to Metal parts and screw holes
- Cal’s Drag Grease on drag washers
- TSI-321 High Speed oil in Spool bearings
- Polish inside of pinion
- Polish spool spindle
- Assemble reel
- Test operation
- Email client and package for mail or pick up