We specialize in servicing, repairing and super tuning Abu Garcia, Shimano, Penn and Newell star drag casting reels. We also make and sell custom Penn reels on demand. We don’t work on spinning reels or lever drag models.
Basic Maintenance Freshwater bait-casting (Star Drag) $25.00 per reel
Basic Maintenance Saltwater Trolling, Casting (Star Drag) $30.00 per reel
Advanced Service/Repair (all reels) $40.00 per reel*
Corrosion Repair +$20.00 per reel
Replacement Drag Washers +$8-$20 per reel
Replacement Bearings (stainless steel)
Replacement Bearings (ceramic) contact for price
How it works
- Contact me and provide as much detail as possible (pictures help!)
- Price includes labor cost plus additional replacement parts (if needed). All parts are ordered after your approval.
- Package & ship your reel.
- Two options:
If you’re located in Seattle, drop your reel off at Outdoor Emporium. They will ship directly to me:
1701 4th Ave S.
Seattle, WA 98134
Otherwise, wrap your reel in bubble wrap and ship to:
879 E Opus St.
Boise, ID 83716
4. Depending on the time of year, i’ll usually have your reel back to you within 7-10 business days.
How we service your reel:
- Break down and inspection
- Ultrasonic Cleaning
- Send estimate to customer
- Order replacement parts
- Install replacement parts/upgrades
- Grease & oil reel (Marine Grade Grease on Metal to Metal parts and screw holes, Cal’s Drag Grease on drag washers, TSI-321 High Speed oil in Spool bearings)
- Polish pinion and spool spindle
- Assemble reel
- Test operation
- Email customer and package reel for mail or pick up
1. What custom parts can you order?
I can order the following customer parts, based on availability. Contact me for pricing.
- Handles & Knobs
- Side plates
- Free spool levers
- SS Drag Sleeves
- SS Drag Sleeve Dogs
- SS Drag Stars
- Reel kits
2. What if more damage is uncovered during tuning?
I will always contact you to discuss the damage and get your approval on the next steps. If excessive damage is revealed, some reels may not be worth repairing. Reels with sentimental value are the exception here. In the event you chose to not have the parts replaced I can return to you with the old parts installed.
3. Why is corrosion repair an added cost?
Reels with corroded spool bearings and pinions require quite a bit of additional labor to remove just so that I can service your reel. The total cost will depend on the degree of intrusion. If in doubt, send me a picture first.
4. What kind of drag washers do you use?
Most reels require new drag washers. I only use greased Carbon Fiber drags. The pricing on the drag kits for small reels range from $8-12.00 per reel. On larger reels they can be as much as $20.00 per set.
5. What type of bearings do you use for replacements?
Replacement bearings come in a variety of types and prices. I use Boca bearings on all of my reels. If you want a set from a boutique vendor just let me know. I use stainless steel in most reels but ceramics are available at an additional cost.
6. How can I prevent corrosion on my saltwater reel?
I highly recommend that when you invest in a new saltwater reel, lubricate it! I can properly lubricate new reels to help prevent saltwater intrusion and corrosion. This will allow you to use it for a season or two without concern. It is cheap insurance on an expensive investment.
Drop me a line and let’s talk about what you have in mind!